Move Files Based on Its Filename

This workaround will help you sort your files based on string on its filename. Also this is the second part of my post HowTo Sort Your Movie Collection By Genre.

I have some movies that I have added genre on its filename and I want to move this to its genre-folder.

You might say, type the string on the search box and cut paste to the folder, easy.

But what if you have alpha-numeric in your filename, like for example your files are named with date at the end and you wanted to sort it by year then month-day folder, etc. This where Advance Renamer come in handy.

Download and install the free program called “Advance Renamer”.

After installation run the program and you should see like this;


Now drag all the files you wanted to sort on the grid area. In my example below I highlighted the five steps you need to set.

1. Drag all the files you wanted to sort.
2. Add Method –click add method and Select New Name.
3. Under New Name method type <Name>.
4.On batch mode option, click pull-down menu and select Move.
5. Set output folder where your folders are or where you want Advance Renamer create a new folder.


Then, once you have followed all the steps above, add <Substr:,:18> in addition to your output folder (refer to image above).

Let’s see what this command or code means, according to Advance Renamer website, which you could read from this link.


In my case, for example, the filename is Movie Name (2011),Drama.mp4, now start from comma “,” I will take the text “Drama” create a folder and move this file to the folder created. So if the comma in my filename is at before the year, for example Movie Name ,(2011)Drama.mp4 the folder that it will create will be (2011)Drama

Now the number 18 on the text that I have added is the number of text that it will copy to create a folder. For example, the same filename Movie Name (2011),Drama.mp4 if I change the 18 to 4, the folder name will be Dram. If I changed it to 5 it will be Drama and 6 will still Drama.

Finally, if you have set all the parameters that suits your needs, click on Test Batch and see if there is an error then Start Batch



You can undo the command by clicking Undo Last Batch and select from the list.

END

No comments:

Post a Comment